Leopards can turn into airplanes… right?


After baby #2 had been here awhile, my husband and I came to the conclusion that 3 carseats spread across two cars was kind of a pain in the butt.  Whenever we wanted to take his car somewhere, we would have to squeeze, sweat and swear to get one out of my car, into his, and then back into mine when the trip was all over.  When I found a Britax Roundabout in a neighborhood garage sale for $25, I was thrilled (please note that I would not buy a used car seat from just anyone or anywhere).  I called Hubby to tell him the good news, and he was equally excited… Until I got it home and he found out it was leopard print and would be a permanent fixture in HIS car.  I told him I would find a way to make it more ‘manly’ for him and our son and then got quickly sidetracked by everyday life.

Fast-forward to a few months later and Becca sends me a message about this tutorial she just bought for covering Infant car seats.  I perused the shop and liked what I saw, so I bought the Booster car seat covering tutorial, as my car seat is larger and not portable.  In just 3 days of working on it here and there, our leopard print Britax underwent some major surgery and came out looking FANTASTIC!  I couldn’t be happier with the result.

The tutorial is Toddler Booster Car Seat Recovering Tutorial by GeorgiaLeighDesigns.  She makes it very clear that it is not designed as a pattern for one specific kind of car seat, but detailed instructions, tips and tricks that will help you recover a similar style seat.

First, let me say, the hardest and most tedious part of this task was taking the darn thing apart.  Stitch by stitch, seam by seam, everything.  I honestly carted this thing around with me ALL day.  On the couch, outside in the driveway while the kids played with the neighbors.  The time that you spend doing the rest will fly by, especially when you can see your progress and how pretty it looks!

Second, pay attention when it tells you that you CANNOT take enough pictures.  I thought ‘this is a pretty simple cover and there aren’t that many pieces.  3-4 pictures while I’m deconstructing and I’ll be fine!’  Nope.  I had to bring back my evil friend the seam ripper, that I had just been so excited to leave behind.

I don’t want to give away any of Georgia’s great ideas, but at least one I had never used before, and it will become a staple in my work going forward.  I can assure you that there are lots of photos to work you through the process and I would pay the $3.99 all over again in a heartbeat.

The only down side (apart from the fact that my 3 year old daughter wants me to do her seat, which I paid a heck of a lot more than $25 for) is that I got hung up on completing my seat because the entire cover is held on by elastic (think shower cap).  Neither of Georgia’s tutorials could give me much detail on how to address that part.  It was briefly shown, but more as a passing glance than much help, but I figured it out on my own in the end.  I also didn’t think ahead to the thickness of my fabric in regard to the pattern I was covering, and if you know to look for it, you can see the faint glow of leopard spots behind my planes and dots.  A short note in the supplies section could have made me think twice about my fabric selection, because I did go with the ‘high quality designer cotton’ that was one of her recommendations.



2 responses »

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s